Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Being Concise

The other day in my English class I learned ways to be more concise. I realized one of the many  things I struggle with in my writing is being concise. Considering I only write for school assignments, I always have a minimum amount of words or pages I have to write about. Usually, I have a difficult time reaching the required length of the writing assignment. I find myself compensating for this by making sentences longer than they have to be and adding details and words that aren't necessarily necessary  to what I am writing. For example, in the last sentence, I could have been much more concise. A more concise way of writing it is "I compensate for this with longer sentences and unnecessary details." This edited sentence flows much better, as it short and to the point. Writing is concise when it's contents are essential to the point. The key is to just avoid adding unnecessary words and phrases. Tips I know to avoiding unnecessary attributes include replacing long phrases with just a word or two and avoiding making the same point over and over. I hope to use these blogging exercises as a way to practice making my writing more concise.

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with this post! I feel like I do the same thing sometimes. You want to get to the minimum length for the paper while doing the least amount of work possible. I feel like it's something everyone needs to work on. Be more concise!

    ReplyDelete